Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mamma on a Mission

This evening I was all ready to go to work, then I received a call I had been canceled. 
An occasional hazard of being a nurse, not enough patients on the floor, and you don't
get to work. I usually work weekends to avoid this and usually it works. Thursdays are 
also especially busy I have found. I work on a postpartum ward, and it seems the most deliveries tend to be on Thursdays, so naturally I was shocked. That's okay, I thought to myself, There is plenty around the house for me to do. I looked forward to accomplishing 
a couple of things that needed to be done. 


There was a pile of laundry on our bed that needed to be folded and put away, my 
dresser looked like a waterfall of clothing, an area in the basement needed to be 
cleared so my parents can store a few things (don't get me started on the condition of 
my basement), and the van needed to be tidied to help my mom move some things in 
the morning. On top of all these things that needed to be done, my left knee is in serious 
pain, and I have a certain monthly nuisance visiting me at the moment. Need I say more? Basically, "Watch out! Don't get in the way of the crazed, hormonal lady!" 


My husband seemed less than enthusiastic about it all (I was unaware of how truly
exhausted he was from the week). So, stuff needed to get done, and it had not been
possible to get it done during the day amidst meltdowns and toddler adventures. 
I was a bit frustrated with my second half and let him know it by being less than 
warm. I was torn with being frustrated with him and frustrated with myself. I definitely 
wasn't walking in love. I wasn't being patient or kind or slow to anger. I was thinking 
of myself and my goals, and although, yes it all needed to be done, I could have been 
more gracious. Oh, why can't I just be perfect?! Since we'll only be perfect once 
we're in Heaven with Jesus, I guess I'll have to deal with these imperfections in 
myself for a while longer. 


Kids laundry is folded and put away, waterfall has vanished from my dresser, 
basement section is cleared and swept for some guest crates, didn't get to the 
van, but that's okay, and I have some apologizing to do. I thought I prayed for 
some grace in the middle of it all, but since I don't really remember, It must not 
have been heartfelt. Note to self,next time I find myself in a frustrating situation, 
focus on the "plank" in my eye, not the speck in my neighbor's (in this case 
spouse's) eye. Ouch. Do I really want to post this? Lord, thank you for the lesson 
in humility. 


But He gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” James 4:6, ESV


“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye. Matthew 7:1 - 5, ESV




No comments:

Post a Comment