Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Moment with Chocolate?

This week has definitely been a challenge so far. My daughter and I both
have the coxsackie virus, which sounds worse than it is. We both have blisters
in our throats, which are not comfortable, but feel pretty okay overall. The bummer
is that it is highly contagious, so we are stuck in the house for 7 - 10 days. No 
preschool for her, no work for me (work with babies), no playgrounds, no church
for Easter Sunday, no seeing our families this weekend. Not fair!! Today is day 
three of quarantine, and I'm feeling the effects.


Yesterday, I called my husband at work and jokingly, but really more seriously, 
told him I would need chocolate to survive this week. He was sure to pick up 
a bag of Dove dark chocolate bites for me. Yes! Thank you, wonderful man I 
married. It wouldn't be so difficult if both the kids were sick. Then they could
swap germs as much as they wanted, and it'd be okay. Keeping a three year
from touching her mouth every other moment is like keeping a curious child 
from pushing a mysterious button.


Do you find yourself relying on a little something when stressed? Mine is 
definitely chocolate, a moment of peace. I love it, but I wonder if instead of 
having a morsel of  bliss, I should be saying a quick prayer of, "Lord, help me de-stress." Okay, I don't wonder, I know. This morning, amidst a bit of chaos, my toddler walked
over to the radio and turned it on. It is set to our local Christian station, Joy FM.
Within minutes I felt the stress melting away. It was a great reminder, like
God was saying, "Remember I'm here to help you." Yes, even with the day to 
day stuff, He is here for us. 


Earlier in the week I was reading Psalm 23, which is many times read at 
funerals. I think it is intended much more for the living. He is there for us in the 
dark times, the happy times, the menial times, the stressful times, the 
peaceful times. He brings peace to our chaos, external and internal. 
Read Psalm 23 and think of difficulties you are going through. Give them 
to Him and find the peace you've been seeking, your moment with chocolate








The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
     He leads me in paths of righteousness
 for his name’s sake.
 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever. 




No comments:

Post a Comment